www.mahnazart.com | firstname.lastname@example.org | email@example.com | 703 517 5341
Mahnaz is an emerging artist working primarily with acrylic paints on canvas. She employs bold colors to make revealing and emotional statements in abstract form. Her approach is guided by worldly curiosity and thoughtful reflection on a life fully lived—she only began painting 20 years into a non-artistic career, after having raised two grown children with her husband of 33 years. She did not find painting, painting found her.
For the past 3 years, Mahnaz has studied under the instruction of the following professional artists:
- Nurieh Mozaffari
- Gavin Glakas
- Gita Mirshahi
- 2015 Solo exhibition, Richmond, VA
- 2015 Group exhibition, Rockville, MD
- 2015 Group exhibition, RAW: natural born artists, San Francisco, CA
- 2015 Group exhibition, RAW: natural born artists, Washington, DC
- 2014 Group exhibition, Rockville, MD
- Private collection: Scottsdale, AZ
- Private collection: Richmond, VA
- Private collection: Washington, DC
- Private collection: Reston, VA
- Private collection: Potomac, MD
- Private collection: Herndon, VA
- Private collection: Las Vegas, NV
I am an analyst by day, and a painter by weekends and nights. I am a mother of two amazing young men. I am a wife, and I am a nonconformist.
I began to paint at the age of 55 as a way to challenge myself. To explore something new, unfamiliar, and creative. Through painting I have found an outlet to express how I feel about life, and to tell my story. I moved to the United States after escaping a brutal revolution in Iran and learned from that experience to never be afraid. My inspiration is grounded in those memories, in human strength and resilience, emotion, and above all, in a desire to find happiness. I use bold and vibrant colors, movement, and composition to represent my vision of survival, love, and joy.
I want my paintings to stimulate every human sense, and to challenge the viewer’s interpretation of the real world. My aim is to provoke, awaken, and stir the same varied emotions that I pour into the canvas. I see every being in this world in my colors, lines, movements, and shapes. Painting has empowered me to transpose my innermost feelings into static, but living visuals. This has been a spiritual journey, one that expands, enriches, and fulfills my soul.